Mobile devices are an important part of our daily lives these days. Time spent on mobile devices surpasses desktop computers. You can see this any time you walk down the street.
People are glued to their smartphones, and companies are doing everything they can to monetize that. Here are some important statistics to know about mobile device usage in 2018.
Mobile Usage Statistics
1. 3.5 billion people use mobile Internet.
2. 71% of time spent online in the U.S. is on mobile devices.
3. The Google Play store has 2.8 million apps. The Apple App store has 2.2 million apps.
4. Approximately 197 billion apps were downloaded on mobile devices in 2017.
5. Approximately 25 billion of those apps were downloaded from the App store. Approximately 90 billion of those apps were downloaded from the Play store.
6. The average person uses only 9 apps per day.
7. 48% of searches start on a mobile device.
8. Google accounts for 96% of mobile Internet searches.
9. People spend over $1 trillion after researching products and services on mobile devices.
10. 88% of people searching a business on a mobile phone will contact that business within 24 hours.
11. 61.9% of Google’s paid-search clicks happen on mobile devices.
12. 87% of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from mobile.
13. Most mobile usage occurs between 8pm and 12am.
14. 69% of American adults own a smartphone, 45% own a tablet, 61% own a laptop, and 47% own a desktop.
15. 87% of time spent on mobile devices occurs in apps.
16. 70% of people dislike mobile ads.
17. American adults spend an average of 3 hours and 24 minutes on mobile devices daily.
18. The average person spends 69% of their media time (music, video, reading, gaming) on smartphones.
19. 80% of social media time is spent on mobile devices.
20. Over 50% of people check their smartphone immediately after waking up.
21. Approximately 80% of email users exclusively use mobile to check email.
22. Mobile coupons are redeemed 10x more often than print coupons.
23. Samsung makes 22.8% of all mobile phones.
24. 48% of Millennials only watch video on mobile devices.
25. More people use smartphones for checking email than making calls.
26. 32.2% of Android devices are running Marshmallow.
27. 0.7% of Android devices are running Oreo.
28. 81.7% of mobile devices run on Android OS.
29. Facebook is the most popular Android app, followed by YouTube.
30. Amazon is the most popular Android app with Millennials, followed by Gmail.
31. The Google Play store has over 2.8 million apps posted by 968,000 publishers.
32. The Amazon app store has over 600,000 apps.
33. The top 5 highest grossing apps in the Google Play store as of February 1, 2018 are Candy Crush Saga, Pandora Music, Google Drive, Slotomania – Vegas Slots Casino, and Candy Crush Soda Saga.
34. 83.2% of apps in the Google Play store are games.
35. 94.1% of apps in the Google Play store are free.
36. Over 180,000 new apps are released in the Google Play store every month.
37. As of January 2018, 65% of Apple devices are running iOS 11. 28% run iOS 10, and only 7% run an earlier iOS version.
38. 17.9% of mobile phones are iPhones.
39. There are over 2.2 million apps in the App store.
40. 81.7% of Apple App store apps are games.
41. 87.9% of Apple App store apps are free.
42. The top 5 grossing apps in the App store are Netflix, Pandora Music, Tinder, YouTube, and Candy Crush Saga.
43. The top 5 grossing iOS games are Candy Crush Saga, Candy Crush Soda Saga, Golf Clash, Clash Royale, and Clash of Clans.
44. Over 44,000 new apps are released in the App store every month.